Monday, March 17, 2008

Stuck to the computer!

I am constantly checking my emails in hopes of news from VSO. I am updating my blogs, editing and posting pictures on photo sharing sites, planning fundraising events, creating powerpoints for school presentations on Zambia, and writing my weekly column for the Robertson County Times. My blogspot is the only place that I feel is truly mine. A friend of mine recently joked that I must have reached the end of the internet by now! My fingers are not the only things that are stuck to the computer. Yes, the misterious visa approval letter that I have been waiting for finally made its way to the VSO office in Madang-stuck to my program officer's computer monitor! Literally taped to the monitor!

I was visiting my friend Abby's school giving a presentation about VSO and Peace Corps when I received the news. I litearlly jumped up and down when my advisor Catherine told me I was headed to PNG! Abby looked over at me and tears filled my eyes. I am finally going to Papua New Guinea.

I will continue to be stuck to the computer as I await my flight itinerary and final preparation emails from VSO. I should arrive by the end of March.

I would like to send a special thank you to my mom Vickie, dad Mike, stepmom Carol, brother Houston, sister-in-law Becky, grandmother Jenny, Aunt Jana, Uncle Jeff and cousins Dex and Devan, and friends Ms. Liz Cheezem, and Melinda and Steve Allen for their donations to VSO during my Share Your Lunch event this past Saturday. Your generous contributions will help send more volunteers like me to help fight global poverty. We raised $325 of my target goal of $2,000!



3 comments:

Shirl said...

I know exactly what you are going through. I am about to move to PNG to work as a teacher and it took about 4 1/2 months to get my work permit and it has taken just over two weeks after that for the visa to come through and that was with me ringing immigration daily... so I finally got the phone call at 3:04pm today saying that I can collect my visa... but they are only open from 9:30am until 3:00pm, so I'll be in there first thing tomorrow morning to collect the long awaited visa and on a plane possibly as early as 2pm tomorrow from Australia, to start work after Easter... only eight weeks after I was meant to start. I hope my class will be happy to see me.

Good luck with you waiting.

Shirley

Charlye Ramsey said...

Congrats Shirley! Where will you be living? I will be in Madang.

Safe travels and I am certain your class will be estatic to see you!!!

Hope you see you and PNG soon!
Charlye

Shirl said...

Hi Charlye,

I'll be living in Port Moresby.

I found out this morning that I am flying into PNG today... so 6 more hours until my flight leaves and I can't pick up my visa for another 1 1/2 hours.

Shirley