Friday, March 7, 2008

Come Monday

It'll Be Alright. This past weekend I was helping my Aunt Jana and Uncle Jeff redecorate my cousin, Dex's bedroom. Come Monday played on one of Jeff's many mp3 gadgets. Although Jana and I disagreed about our preference for Jimmy Buffett's music, we still sang along. Little did I know that a few days later I would be singing Come Monday again with a whole new meaning.

I received a call from VSO yesterday, four days before my projected arrival date in PNG. My visa approval letter has yet to arrive. The VSO program office in PNG was told that the person who was authorized the sign the approval letter was in a meeting and would be all week. VSO said they made some progress Tuesday when they were able to successfully send a fax stating that my letter needed to be signed YESTERDAY-literally! The "powers that be" stated that they received the fax and would send it over that day. This was two days ago.

In-country volunteer trainings begin Thursday March 13th. My advisor in Ottawa is hopeful that my letter will arrive in time. If we haven't received the letter by Monday, my initial arrival date, there is no possible way I would make it to the trainings. This means I will not be heading to PNG til the next training July 7th.

I am remaining positive and repeatedly singing "Come Monday it'll be alright." Hopefully, my letter will have arrived and I can begin my PNG adventure. But I must face the realities of a delay. If Monday does not bring news of a letter my options are to wait til July, or I could allow my advisor to red flag my file and search for other possible placements with VSO.

Come Monday........

No comments: