Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Under the Mango Tree

Day 4. Tuesday, May 27th 2008. I am unable to hear the cries of the flying foxes from my bedroom but the 2:00 and 4:00 wake up call from the rooster outside my window isn’t helping regulate my sleeping patterns. The good thing about getting up so early is that I can get a lot done before work. I discovered a good spot where I can feel a breeze from both the kitchen and living room windows so I rearranged my furniture accordingly.
I had a busy day with Peter. We visited the Madang’s Teacher College, MTC, where I met 3 important stakeholders. Then we visited a school up the North Coast Road and I was able to get a glance of schools here in Madang. The mobile medical unit was visiting the school today, so I was able to observe immunizations and vision screenings in addition to the typical class routine. Next, we visited Divine Word University, which has a beautiful campus, WiFi internet (the fastest in the Country), a library, and post office. Last, we visited the Provincial Department of Education where I met one of the 3 key persons whom I will be working with. Peter knew exactly where to find him. Not in his office, but behind the building sitting under a mango tree. This is where I met Clement, Peter’s dear friend who grows coffee on Rai Cos. Throughout the day as we visited all the stakeholders and important places involved in my work, Peter was able to explain his vision of my role a bit more clearly. He described my role as a bridge between VSO’s disability and education programs. I will be based at MTC, the Educational Resource Centre, the Creative Self Help Centre, in schools, in the Provincial offices, and under mango trees! Basically, I am itinerant and will need to be active between many places and with many people. I will be a literal bridge in Madang and PNG to begin the thoughts of inclusive practices. It’s very exciting and just the right placement for me!

No comments: