Thursday, May 22, 2008

Land of the Unexpected

View approaching PNG!

After two layovers in LAX and Brisbane, Australia and crossing both the equator and the the International Date Line, I have arrived in Papua New Guinea! As I walked off the plane in Port Morseby, I was completely overwhelmed with emotion. It was the combination of the men singing and playing instruments, the beautiful view of both sea and green mountains, and the euphoria of finally arriving that caused my eyes to fill with tears. These were different tears than those that ran down my cheeks when I left you guys Wednesday. These were tears of joy, of relief, of new beginnings! Tears of happiness!

As expected in the land of the unexpected, my flight to Madang has been cancelled. I was told that morning flights are the best to catch because the planes haven't broken down yet! A scary thought! Luckily, I get to soak in Port Moresby for a bit and manage to get a good nights sleep in a luxury hotel. The Crowne Plaza Hotel is filled with eye catching artwork of wood carved masks and vivid paintings of tribal singsings. The view from my balcony is spectacular, but do to safety concerns my toes will have to wait to be dipped into the sea tomorrow when I arrive in Madang. I leave at 645 am and will arrive an hour later (Carol get on those time conversions!) As I sit and soak in this incredible view I can hardly believe I live here!

Now that its suddenly 4:26 Friday, I find myself exhausted but I know I need to try to stay awake. Just wanted to let you guys know I made it to PNG!!!!

love
Charlye

No comments: