Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Rapes and Attacks Grip Madang!

In the 18 months I have been in Madang, I have witnessed many disturbing and violent acts.  PNG is known for its tribal fighting, domestic violence, compensation, gender based violence, gang rapes, and armed robberies. I have myself been a victim as well as many of my friends, both National and Expatriates.  Yes, violence occurs across the globe, but violence in PNG in more prevalent and certainly more volatile. Being a volunteer in development, an optimist, and a public blogger, I have tried my best to describe PNG, its culture and people, in a positive and diplomatic manner. 

Today, however, I cannot. I can only tell the truth.  A truth that I have been holding back as not to worry my friends and family at home.  A truth that is so disturbing that all readers should be warned of the content, which may only be suitable for....well, actually no one, regardless of age, sex or mental stability, should ever have to read of a truth so unsettling.

Last night five men broke into a house of an elderly expat who has spent most of her life in PNG.  They must have known her husband was out of the Country and took this opportunity to hold her hostage in her own house.  The gang tied her up, bashed her and raped her.  The neighbors notified the police, however, when they finally arrived, the men had fled. 

A pure act of animal violence!

My heart pours out to this strong and committed woman, who has dedicated her life to the people of Papua New Guinea.  She is known by most as 'the mother of Madang' for her community service with womens groups, the Red Cross and the centre for persons with disabilities.

Her attack was one of the 8 reported rapes here in Madang in the last 4 days!  This week alone there have been armed hold ups along the roads going in and out of town, a young boy was shot when his family could not give the man K1 (less than 33 cents), and two women were hacked to death while walking to the market to sell thier vegetables. 

The Madang community is in an uproar!  Myself included.  What response will the government provide? Obviously there is complete chaos with the law and order situation in Madang town. 

No comments: