Wednesday, June 11, 2008

An Expert

Wednesday, June 11, 2008. VSO finally offered some guidance today (only 2 ½ weeks into my placement). It was initiated by a volunteer who is filling in while two program officers are out of the office. I finished language training today and was treated to lunch at The Lodge—my assumption after Day 2 that volunteers never really leave The Lodge is proving to be true. Reef at the lodge.

Over a veggie pizza we discussed my role and how I would begin my placement. I have a very unique role within VSO as I will be combining both the education and disability programs. I also have 5 key partners with very different ideas for the direction of my placement. With that being said, I also do not appear to have a direct Line Manager. I was told that my position was more like a Program Manager’s position verses a volunteer’s position. So, my first step is to conduct a stakeholders analysis. The list is exhaustive but at the minimum it would include (1) the Provincial Department of Education, (2) Madang Teacher’s College, (3) the Creative Self Help Centre, (4) VSO Disability Program, and (5) VSO Education Program. In my analysis I will learn about the organizations mission and goals, about ongoing projects, as well as the people in the organization and the positions they hold. Then I will conduct a needs assessment of each stakeholder. What are their needs, what resources do they currently have, what are their partner organizations, and what are their expectations of my placement? This process of familiarizing myself with these organizations may take several months. I will basically work as a researcher to assess the needs of inclusive education. Once I have gathered the initial information I will create a work plan to submit to each of the stakeholders. VSO has assisted me by outlining a tentative schedule to begin my analysis with each of the stakeholders. I am eager to begin my extensive research but I am also a bit overwhelmed by their expectations of me as an “expert in my field.” At home I am just a school psychologist who enjoys submersing myself into new cultures. Here, I am an expert. No pressure! So for the next few months I will be building relationships and learning the culture of education and disability in PNG before I begin building my project.

No comments: