Saturday, February 27, 2010

A Journey Into and Away from Myself

Looking through another's eyes  allows you to view the world from a perspective other than your own.  To see things through another cultural lens.

Looking through another's eyes also allows you to see yourself, your culture, your interaction with others and the world around you from the perspective of others.

This experience has been a true journey into and away from myself.  Each day, whether consciously or unconsciously, I learned more about myself, who I am, who I want to become.

I have seen and experienced many beautiful, unique, heart breaking, and utterly  shocking things.  Things that no matter how out of this world amazing or how horrific they may be, I am always reminded that they are all part of the human experience.  The unique yet interrelated exchanges between one person and another, between mother nature and the human race, between the sun and the moon, the earth and the sea.

Thank you for reading and allowing me to share my life as a VSO volunteer in Papua New Guinea.  Although I will not be making any new posts, I will not stop looking through another's eyes.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I have to say Charlye that I am humbled by your effort in bringing this part of the world to my home. I also appreciate being informed on the state of children living in poverty. You inspire me to continue my volunteering her in Dallas and maybe get others involved too. I'll pass this website to friends of mine who will truly enjoy this blog. It was nice meeting you on the plane. Take care and good luck. -Amer

KaryOn said...

hey there! Fellow school psych and blogger, Kelly Taylor, here. Hope all is well on your rock. Next time youre on oahu--give me a call.
<3 Kels

Mark Carter said...

Hi Charlye.
Thanks for your words and inspiration.
I was based in Lae with VSO from 2001-02 and Madang in 2003. I loved hearing your stories, many of which resonated deelpy with my experiences and memories.
A great blog, from a sound mind.
Keep restless.
Mark