Monday, December 7, 2009

Go Pinis-Pondering a goodbye to PNG

People frequently come and go from PNG.  Short term volunteers, long term volutneers, consultants, anthropology students, researchers, and the occasional, adventurous tourist.  With the holidays approaching and contracts ending, go pinis parties have booked the Madang social calendar.  Dinner at Edens and The Lodge, sports themed parties, and karaoke parties helped to bring normalacy to the disturbing events plaguing the town.  We shared our adventurous travel stories of various destinations across the globe.  And highly emotional stories of escaping Madang's crime and danger. After the attacks last week highlighted the unpredicable dangers of PNG, several ngos in Madang decided to pull out and even VSO is evacuating all Asian volunteers. The town is on curfew and all alcohol sales have been banned. 

The combination of the increased security risks and a recent shortlisting for a job in Cambodia leaves me pondering if my time here in PNG is finished.  Several months ago I submitted a general application to Handicap International, a ngo targeting persons with disabilities and eliminating extreme poverty.  Last week, I received an email stating I had been shortlisted for an Inclusive Education position, the same work I am doing here in PNG.  After two international phone interviews, things are looking positive for a job beginning January 2010. 

Things were moving quickly as I had my flight booked home for the holidays.  It hit me that there was a possibility I may get the job in Cambodia after I leave PNG and I may not return.  I only had a few days to wrap my head around this idea.  Packing. Goodbyes. 

This was not the first time I have had to pack my life into a bag with a few days notice.  In true 'Charlye fashion' I didn't give it much thought, and enjoyed my days, my friends and the beauty of the moment. 

My potentially 'last' day in Madang was one I will never forget.  Morning coffee on the veranda with Marleen and Jolanda overlooking the sea.  An afternoon boat ride to the beach house for food and cheers with the expat community of Madang.  That evening on the ride back to the mainland, we stopped for skinny dipping in phosphorescence.  This was one of the most amazing natural experiences of my life.  Swimming under the stars above the reefs surrounded by the emission of lights produced by the bioluminescent plankton was spectacular.  We took turns diving off the boat and watching with our snorkels as our bodies plunged through the water like a rocket in the sky.  We looked like comets shooting through a star filled sky.  Then we transformed into the most beautiful underwater, sparkling angels as we spread our arms and kicked our legs to the surface.  A fanstactic natural phenomenom!

My next adventure, Hong Kong.  Living in the moment, I am not thinking too much about the possibility of a real goodbye to PNG, a future in Cambodia or even hoildays in the States.  To the unknown again!

No comments: