Sunday, October 26, 2008

The impact of my placement!

In a effort to share the impact of VSO volunteer's work, my program manager asked me to write a brief statement of some of the work I have done in my placement. I thought I would share these great successes with you too!

I have been helping to build the capacity of inclusive education teachers to transition students with disabilities into the mainstream schools. Through parent awareness and mainstream teacher trainings, 10 students with disabilities will be attending the same school as their siblings in the next school year. A team approach to therapy at the centre. A physiotherapist, community based rehabilitation officers, and special education teacher working with a child with cerebral palsy.

Through networking efforts of the VSO volunteer, for the first time in Madang Province, the Provincial Education Department officially recognized an inclusive education training in the mainstream school. This empowered the resource teachers and motivated them to participate in additional trainings.

In addition, there has been an increase in awareness of the importance of inclusive education and a shift in ownership for the implementation of inclusive education. Trainings in inclusive education have been requested by elementary trainers in comparison to resource teachers approaching schools to offer trainings. People are beginning to request trainings and use the centre as a resource verses a "special" place to send "special" children for "special" services. A wonderful example of a shift in attitudes and beliefs! Elementary teachers only receive 6 weeks of training. I was asked to give a one day training on inclusive education.

No comments: