Thursday, August 21, 2008

The Return of the Flying Foxes!


They're back! After 2 weeks Madang's flying foxes have returned to their spot high in the rain trees. Their disappearance continues to be a mystery. More and more rumors and theories have been spread across Madang. In addition to all the others I mentioned previously, some people suggest that the bats left due to a food shortage. Others believe Air Niugini sprayed some chemical in the air that forced them to leave. Some say the spirits from the singsings of the Madang festival drove them away. The most common and sensible explaination for their disappearance is the frequent but small earthquakes Madang experienced.

Madang's icon is back! The town felt so strange without the flying foxes. Their familiar squeals bring a since of comfort to me. I will not walk under a rain tree without looking up in appreciation.

1 comment:

Nickell said...

Hey Charlye! I have enjoyed reading your blog and catching up with what you have been doing and it looks amazing! I just admire you so much for what you are doing! It is an experience that no one can take away from you! I think you knew that I was expecting again, but I have some more interesting news that I thought you might like. It is a girl and we are naming her Ramsey!! We had a hard time this time coming up with a name, but we both decided on Ramsey and of course you know why it has meaning to me! I have 11 more weeks until she will be here, November 24th I will have her by c-section, so check my blog around that time to see Ramsey! Take care and be careful! God Bless!