Saturday, February 20, 2010

10 Favorite travel destinations of mine in '09 and why

 When I first decided to start a blog I was leaving for the Peace Corps and the blog's primary purpose was to keep my close friends and family up to date with my new experiences.  Since then my blogging has evolved to include social, political and developmental issues (not claiming to have any expert knowledge beyond my personal grassroot perspective).  But mostly I use the blog as a personal journal to remind myself of small things that have made big impacts on my life; to remind me of the lessons I have learned (and most often the hard way), the people I have met and places I have been.  Which brings me to another list of 10: Favorite travel destinations of mine in '09 and why

1. Singapore is a busy and clean city with loads of diversity.  It has endless shopping along Orchid Road and it is easy to explore places like China town, Little India and Raffles Hotel for a Singapore Sling!
2. Yogyakarta is a wonderful blend of Indonesian culture with the magnificent Borobudur (Buddhist) and Prambanan (Hindu) Temples, delicious vegetarian dishes and Via Via's off the beaten path tours.  I particularly enjoyed the Religion Tour of temples and learning about the religions blends in Java.
3. Langkawi, Malaysia  is a great place to relax on the beach and still enjoy inexpensive luxuries like the Red Tomatoe's mexican pasta dish and the all night dance clubs!
4. Sepik River, East Sepik Papua New Guinea was the most incredible adventure of my life!  Crocodiles, canoes, fishing villages, marsupials, carvings, weaving, a culture that must be experienced!
5. Kar Kar Island, PNG, beautiful black sand beaches, lush coconut plantations, and volcano!
6. Goroka, Eastern Highlands PNG is known for its incredible coffee, Asaro Mudmen, and the Goroka festival
7. Hong Kong--top class Asian city!  Food, shopping, culture, ferry from Kowloon to Victoria Harbour
8 and 9. The border crossing between Jayapura Indonesia and Vanimo, Papua New Guinea.  The views are stunning, lush tropical trees and the pristine sea.  The vibrant colors, the pureness of it all, simply untouched.  The traditional villages spotted along the coast.  All this contrasted by the adventure of riding with armed guards during the often times unstable border crossing! There is notable contrast between the two border towns, both beauty and beast.
10. Madang, PNG.  Not called the Prettiest Town in the Pacific for nothing.  Singsings, flora and fauna, spectacular reefs and fishes, countless islands with an amazing mountainous backdrop.  A must for all adventurous travelers and avid divers,

1 comment:

Jolanda said...

Hey Charlye,

I've been to a lot of places on your list. How would that come? Eating rice, rice and more rice at the moment, I definetely would like one of those pasta's from this nice restaurant at Langkawi. And mabye some "oranjebitter" on the beach with my two susa's from Madang!

Keep us updated. What will be the next list of 10...
Take care and hope to see you soon!