Wednesday, February 11, 2009

This one elicited a response from Dad....

I never really know which stories to share, but my Dad seemed to remember this one from one phone call to the next, so that has to be saying something.

When I came home from my travels my apartment was covered in mold and mildew. This isn't your ordinary soap scum in your bathroom. This is furry, green and yellow mold growing on walls, between sheets and on every piece of clothing in the closet. This is the mold that lingers in the air, infiltrates the mattress, and never goes away.

For two weeks I have lugged my less than comfortable spring mattress down my more than hazardous spiral staircase. I have heaved it above my head balancing it on the clothes line in hopes of the sun killing the bacteria. The neighbors do it and if I learned anything from my life in Chadiza village....do what the neighbors do.

I have washed my entire wardrobe TWICE. I have bleached the walls. I have scrubbed and disinfected and I still have mold. I bought some 3-In-1 imported spray. I tried everything, so what if I cant read the Chinese label, this is my last option and it had to work.

The furry mold is no longer visible, but the smell lingers. I still sleep on my couch and I turn my head each time I open my closet. I hope the smell of buai and sweat of my National counterparts overpower the smell of my moldy clothes in meetings.

No comments: