Thursday, July 10, 2008

Tell me what you want…what you really really want.

I wouldn’t call myself a fan of the Spice Girls, but I do enjoy writing this blog. I enjoy sharing my thoughts and stories of my experiences with you. I strive to share the happenings of PNG life in a way that entertains you as well as enlightens you. My focus is to keep my family and friends in the loop of my life here in PNG. I also write for myself; a journal to reflect upon my personal, cultural and professional growth.

At times I find writing this blog a challenge. I write for a wide-ranging audience. I know my Mom is eager to hear stories around what I am eating and how I am staying safe while others may be expecting weighty entries regarding the challenges faced by the developing world. Part of me feels that since I am here working in development I should be serious and try to educate others on the injustices of the world. The name of the blog is Looking Through Another’s Eyes because I hope to help others see the effects of development and the challenges Papua New Guineans face through the humble eyes of a volunteer. While telling my story, I hope to get in a few messages that encourage others to take a step back and view the world from a perspective other than their own—to remove our cultural lenses.

I hope to share my story in a way that entertains you and brings you back. I try to write in a manner that is engaging. I have written entries that touched upon the more serious aspects of development work, entries regarding cultural customs, and entries that reflect upon my personal experiences. I receive little to no feedback that may enlighten me to what you, my readers, are more interested in. I would find writing this blog less challenging if I knew what you wanted, if I were to receive some comments. So, this is my effort to elicit some type of response to my blog. Who knows if anyone besides my immediate family and best friends even take to time to read my experiences?

So, please leave comments not only to this entry, but past and future entries as well. Respond to my perspective and engage me and other readers to look through another’s eyes. Related to the entry or not, all comments are welcome!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The blog is great. It is just what you say a mix of the day to day and the reflective. It's sensitive.
I have told people to read your blog to see what life for a volunteer in PNG is like rather than read my blog!
Ed

Anonymous said...

I love your blog! It facinates me to hear about the culture, the progress you are making in your work and your day to day life. You don't have a hair brush, but you cut your own hair, you have bugs/lizards in your apartment, ewww! But, most importantly you are making an effort to blend in with the people there in an effort to help out their education system. You are writting your blog with a perfect mix of your experiences and reflection. Look forward to reading the next post.

Anonymous said...

I don't care what you write - I enjoy all the things that you are saying and providing us with. I am very glad that you don't have malaria!! Send me your mailing address to my email, please.
I love your blog!

Shirl said...

Given that I just moved to PNG this year as well... and I went through the same permit and visa delays as you it is great to read about someone else experiencing things for the first time... somewhat like I am. Even though we are in different areas of the same country doing slightly different things.
Shirley